16th Annual Environmental Health Sciences Summer Institute (SI) For K-12 Educators
What is K12 Summer Institute?
The K-12 Summer Institute offers an extensive variety of professional development workshops focused on the connections between health and the environment. Participants will learn how to help students use inquiry based learning to develop an enhanced understanding of science concepts, apply the scientific method and better understand how the environment affects our health.
Countdown to 16th Annual K12 Summer Institute
July 24-27, 2017, Kerrville, Texas
Most Frequently Asked Questions
You are responsible for making your own hotel reservations and paying for those room nights. We have arranged for a block of rooms at the Inn of the Hills Hotel and Conference Center. Please call them directly and provide your credit card number to secure your reservation for all nights. Please be aware that if you receive a Travel Grant, we will reimburse room charges (double occupancy - half the cost of the room); up to a maximum of $47.50/night (plus 7% city tax) at Inn of the Hills Hotel and Conference Center or any other hotel of your choosing; no state tax) with a room receipt (showing zero balance) and only for the nights before workshops that you attend. Please see more information at the Travel Grants section of this website.
Be sure to mention you are with the Summer Institute to receive a discounted rate. A limited number of rooms have been set aside, so availability is on a first come, first served basis. Reservations must be made before June 23rd. After that, discounted rooms will no longer be available.
Mileage: Teachers are asked to seek mileage reimbursement from their districts. Carpooling to and from the Summer Institute is strongly encouraged.
Lodging: If you are traveling to the Summer Institute from a distance of greater than 35 miles, you are eligible to apply for a Travel Grant to cover the cost of lodging. Lodging will be reimbursed for the nights before workshops that you register for and attend (i.e., Sunday night for Monday workshop). To reduce costs, double occupancy is required. The SI will reimburse for double occupancy (half the cost of the room), for the amount indicated on the hotel receipt, up to a maximum of $47.50/night (plus 7% city tax) at Inn of the Hills Hotel and Conference Center or other hotel of your choice. These are discounted blocks at Inn of the Hills Hotel and Conference Center until June 23rd, 2017. We encourage you to book your room ASAP, as these spots fill up very quickly. Please be aware that the SI cannot reimburse state tax.
If you meet this eligibility requirement, you can apply for a Travel Grant when you register for the Summer Institute, by choosing "Registration WITH a travel grant." Travel Grants are approved on a first come, first served basis. You will receive an e-mail if your travel grant is approved.
1. Provide a hotel receipt with his/her name on the top and showing a zero balance. Hotel receipts can have only one guest name at the top. The SI cannot reimburse state tax.
2. Attend all the workshops for which he/she is registered (or alternates arranged at the Institute, as space permits) and sign in on attendance sheets in the AM and PM.
3. Provide signed W9, vendor and transmittal forms (we will provide blank forms at SI).
4. Provide a correct mailing address for routing of the reimbursement check.
Also, we recommend that you bring:
- Your curiosity, passion, and a sense of humor!
- Comfortable clothing. For workshops that have outside activities, it is suggested that you have sturdy, closed toed shoes, light clothing with sleeves and long pants, sunscreen, hat, bottled water.
- Your iPad, tablet or laptop, for workshop activities and to complete online evaluations.